We have been sent the following motion, which a meeting of Momentum in the North East agreed to submit to Momentum’s “policy primary” for Labour Party conference. Obviously it can be used by Constituency Labour Parties in any case.
The urgency of the climate crisis has only increased since 2019, when conference passed Labour’s most progressive climate policy.
The multiple crises we face in the pandemic (health, jobs, income, inequality, climate) have highlighted the urgency of radically reorganising society.
Whilst “green” rhetoric is adopted across the political spectrum, only a socialist Green New Deal can transform society at the required speed to minimise further climate damage, mitigate already locked-in climate breakdown, and guarantee a just transition for workers
The cost of decarbonisation must be borne by the rich.
Workers are best placed to decarbonise their industries, not bosses. Workplace democracy is vital to achieving a rapid transition to a zero-carbon economy that creates millions of new well-paid jobs
Conference calls on the Labour Party:
To work with unions to support workers organising and taking action to decarbonise workplaces, industries and the economy, while campaigning and educating for a Socialist Green New Deal, including:
• The policies agreed in 2019: full public ownership of energy; public, expanded and free or cheap public transport; repeal of all anti-union laws so workers can take industrial action over climate issues.
• New policies including: abolishing public subsidies for fossil fuels.
• Taking aviation into public ownership, a moratorium on airport expansion, dramatically reducing domestic and international flights, retraining aviation workers for an expanded public transport.
• Democratic public ownership of banking and finance, providing resources and economic leverage for the transition.
• Include GHG emissions from shipping, aviation and global supply chains.