Model motion from India Labour Solidarity
Support working people’s struggles in India!
1. That India, the world’s second largest country, has extensive connections with the UK – including the Tories’ active support for its far-right BJP government.
2. The raging struggle between working people’s organisations and Indian capitalism’s economic and political elites, reinforced by right-wing Hindu nationalism, including during the 2020-21 farmers’ battle against the Modi government’s pro-corporate agricultural reforms.
3. That in 2020 India’s parliament passed sweeping new “labour codes” attacking workers’ rights even in the “formal” 20% of the economy where certain basic rights exist.
4. That this year’s Interational Trade Union Confederation Global Rights Index notes that working people protesting in India are regularly arrested, detained, tortured and murdered.
1. That the Tories’ push to expand trade deals comes in the context of their indifference to attacks in India on human rights, workers’ rights, the rights of minorities, and basic civil liberties.
2. That while the UK Foreign Office is surreally praising India for its futuristic green vision, protests are surging against the London Science Museum’s funding by the India-based global Adani coal mining group, strongly backed by the Indian government.
3. That, in addition to the contribution of super-exploited labour in India to the UK economy, British firms working/trading in India are likely to learn from their Indian counterparts and lobby to further undermine workers’ rights here.
1. The establishment of India Labour Solidarity (ILS), to promote solidarity with India’s workers’, working people’s and social justice movements in the UK Labour and trade union movements.
1. To invite India Labour Solidarity to speak.
2. To circulate information about working people’s struggles in India, and how they connect to workers’ struggles and interests here, to members.
3. To make a donation of £… to the Solidarity Fund ILS is establishing to support precarious workers’ organisations in India.