Please move this as a motion, if necessary an emergency motion, in your Labour Party (or adapt for use in your union branch).
Support the health workers
- That despite the exhausting and dangerous work undertaken by health and care workers during the pandemic, the government has proposed a 1pc pay rise for NHS workers and nothing for care workers. This comes after a long period of falling real wages, with a cut of nearly 20pc in many cases according to the GMB.
- The staff shortages and alarming rate of turnover, with the RCN finding that over a third of nurses are thinking of leaving the profession in the next 12 months.
- The emergence of grassroots network NHS Workers Say No to Public Sector Pay Inequality, which is campaigning for 15pc or £3,000, whichever is higher, and for outsourced services to be brought back into the NHS. Unite and GMB have expressed support for 15pc, while the RCN is calling for 12.5pc.
- That during the pandemic inequality has increased. UK billionaires have increased their wealth by £40 billion. The Resolution Foundation estimates that wealth held by the super-rich has been underestimated by £800 billion.
- That all workers should get a decent real-terms pay rise, particularly after the most sustained fall in real wages since records began. Refusal to give a decent increase to key workers who have risked their lives during the pandemic is particularly glaring.
- That in addition to reversing privatisation and outsourcing in the health service, social care should be brought into the public sector and provided as a free public service, with high standards and parity of pay, terms and conditions with directly employed NHS staff.
- That the government should take wealth from the rich to fund wages, services, jobs and benefits society needs.
- To support NHS Workers Say No and their demands, publicise their campaigning including this petition https://www.change.org/p/claps-don-t-pay-the-bills-give-all-nhs-workers-a-15-pay-rise-nhspay15, make links locally and invite a speaker.
- To call on the party to support the campaign and the demands in this motion, writing to the Leader’s Office and the NEC and including this motion.